Friday

How Not to Handle Baby Mama's 1st Mothers Day

The gift for Mother's Day #1 should be special, something to remember, something that should be cherished, and definitely not something that is forgotten.

Bring in public enemy number one...yours truly...this guy.

I'll take you back to two weeks ago we were shopping and Caroline saw a lady wearing these fancy Nike tops, and commented on how she really liked them. So, as any good husband would do, I filed that in the "next gift for Caroline" brain folder. A couple of days later, Mother's Day gifts got brought up and I mentioned that I was good on a gift, and I swear to you, she looks directly at me and speaks these words to me, "You're not getting me those stupid running tops I commented on last week are you?" Me, "Uh, I was going to." Her, "I knew as soon as I said that, they would be my next gift, those are not appropriate for Mother's Day" CRAP!

Now we have moved on to the Thursday before Mother's Day. Caroline hinted at wanting these for Mother's Day. Which I still contest is just as ridiculous as the Nike tops, but whatever. I stared at my computer for about 3 hours that day and could not bring myself to mouse click "complete purchase" on the $200 pair of black shoes. A pair of black shoes that are very similar to black shoes that can be bought at Target for $20, a very similar pair of black shoes that I have seen the dogs use as a chew toy in previous shoe gifts...I just couldn't spend $200 on some black shoes. Sue me.

That brings us to Friday, which means we are leaving town, and I still have no gift. At this point I have written this off to the "This is not going to go over well on Sunday, hopefully she will not expect a gift" category. WRONG.

Sunday comes and goes without a gift...or a card. Monday comes and goes...no gift...no card...but a mention from Caroline about not getting a card or a gift, and a text from one of her friends who I consulted with about said gift saying, "What did you end up getting Caroline for Mother's Day?" Needless to say, I didn't respond. Tuesday morning comes and I wake up and think, "Wow, I am an ass." Anxiety about the gift sets in, probably a few days too late, but at least it set in, and I am in pure panic/scramble mode.

I've always been told nothing says I'm sorry and I love you quite like this. So to anyone reading this, I beg of you...please...The next time you see my wife, please comment on her lovely necklace with the T & A charms on it...even if she isn't wearing it, pretend she is. And to all you dudes about to become Dads out there...don't forget, don't ever forget Mother's Day # 1.

My only excuse about the gift is, Tyler and Addison thought I was taking care of the gift, I thought they were taking care of the gift, basically it was just a lack of communication on our part.

No comments:

Post a Comment